AND...I also just got confirmation we've filled the CF Sr Product Marketing Manager spot as well, and rumor is it's someone most of you will DEFINITELY know. ;-)
Stay tuned, and welcome Jason!
Dean Harmon (CF / FB App Wizard guru and Adobe CF Team Sr Dev Engineer) has produced a demo of using the CF / FlexBuilder 2 Application Wizard.
Check it out!
Enjoy! (And thanks Dean!)
How'd you like to be able to generate complete custom Flex 2 / CF DB-oriented apps (all code, all tiers) in less than 15 minutes? Now THAT would jump-start your Flex 2 /CF RIA app development, wouldn't it?
Well, today is your lucky day: tonight (aprox 6:30PM EST), the newest CF Extensions for Flex Builder (dated 5/15/06) will be available on the Adobe Labs site, and as promised they include:
- The New CF / Flex Builder 2 App Gen Wizard
- Full CF7 documentation under Eclipse Help
- New CF / FB Extension documentation under Eclipse Help
- New Eclipse "feature" formatted zip structure
Here's few sample screen shots of some simple Flex 2/CF RIA apps generated by the Wizard These took only a few minutes to create and were entirely auto-generated (no hand coding or tweaking required whatsoever):
Of course, the Wizard can be re-run as many times as you like while retaining all the work you've done previously, so you can easily iterate over your application, adding and tweaking it using the Wizard until you're happy with it (and then you can of course, show your boss and take the rest of the month off :)
Ruby-on-Rails, move on over...you were interesting with your OO, MVC, hyper-RAD, Asynchronous Call, N-Tier, Rich Client, interative development and code generation productivity...but now customers have all that and much, nuch more with CF, Flex 2 and Flash. Sweet!
Download the newest CF Extensions for Flex Builder (dated 5/15/06) here (6:30PM EST or later) http://labs.adobe.com
NOTE: If you've installed the previous Beta 3 CF Extensions /plugins for FB, you'll need to first remove those plugins before installing the updated set of CF Extensions:
1) To uninstall the Beta 2 or Beta 3 ColdFusion Extension plugins for Flex Builder:
1. Stop Flex Builder Beta 3.
2. Under your installed FlexBuilder 2 Beta 3 "plugins" directory, find and delete all files and directories of name "com.adobe.coldfusion.*.*"
3. Restart Flex Builder Beta 3.
2) To install the ColdFusion Extensions for Flex Builder:
1. Download and save the "CF_FBExtensions_B3_0515.zip" file (11,643KB)
2. Select Help > Software Updates > Find and Install.
3. Select the Search For New Features To Install option, and then click Next.
4. Click New Archive Site.
5. Select the "CF_FBExtensions_B3_0515.zip" file, and then click Open. The file is located in the Extras folder if you installed ColdFusion MX 7.0.2 using the default values.
6. When the Edit Local Site dialog box appears, click OK.
7. Ensure that the ColdFusion Flex Builder feature is selected, and then click Finish.
8. Select the check box next to "CF_FBExtensions_B3_0515.zip", and then click Next.
9. Select the I Accept The Terms In This License Agreement option, and then click Next.
10. Click Finish.
11. Click Install All.
12. When the installation is complete, click Yes to restart Flex Builder
3) To invoke the Wizard for the first time:
- Select File->New->Other->ColdFusion Wizards->ColdFusion/Flex Application Wizard.
Note that you require a properly configured ColdFusion RDS connection to use the Application Wizard. We're working on some Captivate (screencast) demos for you to hopefully give you a bit of a "test drive" tutorial in using the Wizard. It's a very powerful piece of technology, but some of it's nuances in getting your app to do the right thing may not be immediately obvious, but make total sense when you see them in action.
Stay tuned for more...there's never been a better time to be a ColdFusion developer!
From the April 23, 2006 SCCA Regional race at New Hampshire International Speedway (Sony HDV camera mounted on the passenger side):
(Original post here with race details)
Today we released Flex 2 Beta 3 and ColdFusion MX 7 Flex Connectivity Updater - 7.0.2 BETA 3. We sincerely hope you can take some time and put both through their paces.
In this Beta you will find features that allow ColdFusion to provide server-side logic for Flex applications and hot fixes to other ColdFusion functionality. Beta 3 includes the following key components:
- An updated CF Reporting Engine
- CF 7.0.1 Cumulative Hotfix 1, 2 and 3, including MS IE EOLAS fix for UI components, Flash Forms, etc.
- Updates JRE to 1.4.2_09 for Server and JRun Multi-Server configurations
- New "Flex Integration" CF Admin page to turn on/off Flash Remoting and Flex Data Services support
- Support for restricting the IP address of machines that are allowed to connect to the Flex Asynchronous Messaging Gateway and CF Flex Data Services.
- Flash Remoting Update, Flex Asynchronous Messaging Event Gateway, and Flex Data Services Adapter all now support user authentication
- Flash Remoting AS3 Update
- Flex Asynchronous Messaging Event Gateway
- Flex Data Services Adapter
- ColdFusion Extensions for Flex Builder 2
- Services Browser (remote Web Services and CFCs) Plug-in
- RDS Table CRUD DAO/ActiveRecord & Flex Assembler CFC Generation Wizard
- CF Remote Development Services Plug-in
- Actionscript Value Object to CFC Value Object Wizard
- CFC Value Object to Actionscript Value Object Wizard
- ColdFusion / Flex DB Application Generation Wizard (available to B3 users around May 12)
We're particularly excited about Beta 3, and the productivity features we've added to FlexBuilder 2 for ColdFusion customers.
We're currently putting the final touches on the ColdFusion / Flex 2 DB Application Generation Wizard, and we hope to refresh the CF / FlexBuilder 2 plugins soon to add this exciting functionality that will bring hyper-RAD productivity to ColdFusion customers using FlexBuilder 2, to dramatically jump-start Flex 2 /CF DB application RIA construction.
For now, here's a sneak peek at the ColdFusion / Flex 2 DB Application Generation Wizard and resulting generated Flex 2 / ColdFusion application:
Get more info and download everything from the Labs site: here: http://labs.adobe.com
Welcome to the future of RAD RIA development!
The JRun team has been hard at work on the next major version of the JRun application server, code named "Cheetah", and you're welcome to participate.
Send an email to "firstname.lastname@example.org" (JRun's QA Manager) requesting participation in the Cheetah Beta program if you'd like to participate.
I'm told this Beta of JRun "Cheetah" is very stable and reliable, but there are rewards waiting for anyone who can prove otherwise! :)
In addition, I've also heard the JRun team intends to give away fully functional JRun licenses to the most active Beta participants, and they're hosting a JRun "Sample Apps Challenge"...Beta users who develop sample applications exploiting the new JRun Cheetah features will have a chance to not only be rewarded, but also have their apps featured as part of the JRun Cheetah release Samples Applications area of the release.
Sounds like a great deal to me!